(The steam from the oatmeal totally messed with my telephone photography, lol.)
After a summer of avocado sandwiches, lazy salads (Organic Girl salad mixes & Trader Joe’s Balsamic Rosemary Chicken w/ hummus) and fruit for breakfast, I’ve come into a space where a filling breakfast is key. It keeps me from becoming grumpy, and preparing breakfast also pushes my creativity — because of my food allergies and sensitivities (fish, soy, wheat, dairy, eggs) I have to be (a) careful and (b) cost-conscious.
When I have time to make a big breakfast, it’s usually savory: potatoes, hand made turkey sage sausage patties, and some kale or spinach. To save time and money, though, I’ve become reacquainted with hot cereal. Yesterday, I had an epiphany after staring at three boiled sweet potatoes in my fridge: if I put oatmeal crumble topping on my sweet potato casseroles, surely I can make a sweet potato oatmeal! Here goes nothin’:
- 1 medium sweet potato, boiled and peeled 1 serving of uncooked oats (per the packaging on your container)
- 1 measure of the necessary amount of water to cook your oats, plus an additional half to three quarters cup of water (to accommodate for the addition of sweet potato)
- cinnamon, to taste a pinch of salt one uncooked apple or pear cored and diced (or an already made apple or pear compote is okay)
- the sweetener and milk of your choice, if any
- Combine the pinch of salt, all water, cinnamon, and apple or pear in the saucepan of your choice (I use a stainless steel one); bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add sweet potato and oats. Stir until the mixture returns to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cook to desired thickness — the sweet potato should be broken apart and the oats should be cooked through. Please note that this will not look like the oats you’re used to, but the oats will cook as normal.
- Remove the oatmeal from heat — let stand for at least 60 seconds.
- Serve with milk and/ or the sweetener of your choice.
- lolagetslife likes this
- crazyladyofcats reblogged this from dopegirlfresh and added:
- crazyladyofcats likes this
- poeticlyfonetic reblogged this from karnythia
- technicolorsideshow likes this
- theantiquesoul likes this
- tenaciousrei likes this
- many-worlds likes this
- strugglingtobeheard likes this
- thatdudefromnewyork likes this
- slide-x-ways reblogged this from karnythia
- toasterwaffles likes this
- satanic2chainz likes this
- downlo likes this
- karnythia reblogged this from dopegirlfresh
- vsthepomegranate likes this
- blkgirlblogging likes this
- dopegirlfresh reblogged this from flaskgordon
- flaskgordon posted this